A Youth "Construction Site" project
The PROUT RESEARCH INSTITUTE participates in this project with the action “THE GARDEN IN THE LIVING ROOM”. The project is funded by the Emilia Romagna Region and 4 volunteer associations participate.
Children and young people aged 11 to 18 (25) years, with and without disabilities
Parents of boys
Salsomaggiore Middle School
IRP-Prout Research Institute – APS
- Working together: kids, parents, teachers. For the cohesion and positive solidarity between them, make the kids feel “considered” and safe.
- Youth protagonism (show and exhibitions in the squares, the boys organize, they feel involved)
- Encourage creativity, teamwork, feeling “at the center”, masters of one’s destiny
- Sensitizing the new generations to take care of their future: of others, of the natural environment, of the plant and animal world, developing a sense of respect for everything and everyone, feeling part of a whole (Idea of Neo-Humanism), building a new company model.
Organization of the “Garden in the living room” project
- The target are children of two middle school classes, up to 11-12 years, 40 participants expected.
- It will take place in 4 two-hour meetings each at school during class hours, in autumn 2019 and spring 2020, under the guidance of an alternative horticulture expert.
- Another 3 three-hour workshops will take place at the IRP headquarters, by the volunteers of the IRP, outside school hours or on time.
- Horticulture course
- Planting and sowing
- Gardens for balconies and living rooms
- Hydroponic crops
- Kitchen waste
- The earthly atmosphere
- The climate: temperature, precipitation, winds, pressure, solar radiation
- What affects the climate
- History of the climate, data
How to deal with changes
- Alternative cultivation methods
- Hydroponic crops
- Upside down crops
Grow in soil clippings
- In balconies and terraces
- In living room and residential spaces
- Water-saving irrigation
How to adapt to changes
- Water conservation
- Saving water
- Recycling and reuse of water
- Kitchen waste recycling
- Biodiversity. Seeds collection
- Construction of a geodesic dome greenhouse
- Sow in a seedbed
- Greenhouse and earth transplantation
- Air and water physics experiments
- Construction of small home-grown devices
For each class, two outings, including a full day at the IRP headquarters
- Children’s drawings
- Small paperback made by the boys
- Power Point presentation
- Photos, etc.